» عنوان : DYNAMIC OF STRUCTURES – Fourth Edition
تعداد صفحات : ۹۸۰
PHILOSOPHY AND OBJECTIVES
This book on dynamics of structures is conceived as a textbook for courses in civil engineering. It includes many topics in the theory of structural dynamics, and applications ofthis theory to earthquake analysis, response, design, and evaluation of structures. No priorknowledge of structural dynamics is assumed in order to make this book suitable for the reader learning the subject for the first time. The presentation is sufficiently detailed andcarefully integrated by cross-referencing to make the book suitable for self-study. This feature of the book, combined with a practically motivated selection of topics, should interest professional engineers, especially those concerned with analysis and design of structuresin earthquake country.In developing this book, much emphasis has been placed on making structural dynamics easier to learn by students and professional engineers because many find this subject to be difficult. To achieve this goal, the presentation has been structured around several features: The mathematics is kept as simple as each topic will permit. Analytical procedures are summarized to emphasize the key steps and to facilitate their implementation by the reader. These procedures are illustrated by over 120 worked-out examples, includingmany comprehensive and realistic examples where the physical interpretation of results isstressed. Some 500 figures have been carefully designed and executed to be pedagogically effective; many of them involve extensive computer simulations of dynamic response of structures. Photographs of structures and structural motions recorded during earthquake sare included to relate the presentation to the real world.
The preparation of this book has been inspired by several objectives:
- Relate the structural idealizations studied to the properties of real structures.
- Present the theory of dynamic response of structures in a manner that emphasizes physical insight into the analytical procedures.
- Illustrate applications of the theory to solutions of problems motivated by practical applications.
- Interpret the theoretical results to understand the response of structures to various dynamic excitations, with emphasis on earthquake excitation.
- Apply structural dynamics theory to conduct parametric studies that bring out several fundamental issues in the earthquake response, design, and evaluation of multistory buildings.
This mode of presentation should help the reader to achieve a deeper understanding of the subject and to apply with confidence structural dynamics theory in tackling practical problems, especially in earthquake analysis, design, and evaluation of structures, thusnarrowing the gap between theory and practice.